Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Bird cage.



I've been meaning to get a lightshade for room for ages, but after many attempts to find one suitable I eventually gave up. Then the other day, I saw a bird cage lightshade in Next which I quite liked and was on the edge of buying it due to the fact that I needed one, but I'm so glad I had the patience not to because when I got home I found this one on the internet for much cheaper at £15 including delivery- 



I ordered it late on a Wednesday night and it arrived on the Friday, which was perfect timing as I'd just finished my exams until after half term. When it arrived I thought it was nice but maybe still a bit on the plain side, and I was inspired by this picture of exactly the same bird cage to add to it a bit-




So, that very day I made a trip down to Hobbycraft, and after spending ages searching through different flowers and decorations I picked a couple of bits to add on to it. I got home and spent the next hour or so experimenting, and finally came to this;




Overall I really like how it's turned out and I can't wait for it to go up in my room. I'm not too sure on the leaves so I may have to go back and change them for a paler lot. It cost about £6 to decorate it though I still have a lot of the leaves and a few of the butterflies left which I'm planning to make use of. 

If you're bored this summer or just fancy changing your room up a bit I would definitely give something like this a go to pass the time!


21 comments:

  1. Ohmygosh, this is completely amazing <3 Can't believe you did it yourself, you're so talented!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you! It didn't turn out exactly like the picture but oh well it'll do :) Thanks for commenting xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this looks so cute! What a nice feature, it's so Summery too! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, this looks great! I'm so jealous. My room has a bit of a bird theme going on, the wallpaper has bird cages on it and a shade like this would 'compliment' it well! I saw the one in Next that you mentioned but I couldn't buy it because I have to have a flat light shade in my room - so annoying! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is bloody genius! I LOVE IT! I have to do this after my exams! Your blog is a little gem xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so awesome and girly, love it! ;)


    xoxo,
    Addie
    The Cat Hag

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it I'm going to try it! Love your blog!Hey will you check out mine? If you follow I will return the favor! Thanks to much:)
    http://beautybarbie16.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow I didn't realise people had actually commented! Thank you all so much for visiting my blog and commenting, I might start to post more seeing as I'm going to have so much time over summer! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. ohh.. its so pretty, I like it.
    you are very creative :)
    i like your blog.
    if you have time, feel free to take a look at my blog

    xOx.
    angelaah91,

    http://lovefashionfunbloggin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh it's cute! you did a great job fixing it up too! :)

    thelibertybelleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so cute and girly, and really creative :)love it xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. you've made it look so pretty :) I love this kind of style!

    xoxo

    http://frivolousloves.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh wow this looks perfect - i am defo going to try this xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is amazing!!!!!!!!!!

    You have a wonderful blog by the way, I will definitly be checking back to read more of your posts! Good luck with it (although I am sure you don't need it).

    All the best,
    Voe.
    ________________________________________
    http://lipstick-and-pearls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a cute idea

    I have a Fashion Blog which is quirky and takes a looks at celebriy fashion, tips and tricks for any fashion lover and fashion trends,
    I would love you to check it out when you have a chance,
    New Follower!
    http://undercoverstylelover.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful post!!! would you like to follow each other?
    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great blog! I'm a new follower, and hope you would like to follow back!

    Thanks,
    Gina

    http://beautyloveandlipgloss.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this so much, will definitely be having a go at one - it's stunning! I love things like this, I'm currently painting a spice rack to hang my nail varnishes on, I'll be blogging about it as soon as it's done! I have followed you, hope you'll check out my blog and follow me back:)

    Lots of love, Catherine x

    aanditsallaboutme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks adorable, love the butterflies :) really cure!

    Thataprilinparis.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've recently got a birdcage as well - I used flower fairy lights as a decoration and it looks very cute! I love the butterfly, thanks for sharing!

    Love, Lou x
    Bluebird | Beauty and life blog

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so pretty! I've never seen a bird cage look this stylish and chic <3
    ~Makaela at www.makaelassuitcase.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete